View Single Post
Old July 10, 2010, 10:00 PM   #24
booker_t

I never said "turn tail" nor "run away," but clearly you aren't looking for information, you're looking for validation of overly-aggressive action against strangers on (presumably) public land where off-leash is legal.

You can't have it both ways. If you're in deep enough water to need waders, then the dog is likely swimming and not exactly able to charge at you, let alone in a position to be aggressive. If you're shallow enough where it has solid footing, you should be fully capable of walking away. It's public space and they have just as much right to use of the land as you do, treat them as you'd like to be treated. Clearly there's a big difference between a rot or a pit versus a beagle or a lab. Even a pug can be aggressive towards strangers, but I'd like to see you justify that one.

Fine, so you go downstream to fish. Dogs are territorial, and protective of their owners/pack. You said in the OP that you saw one was being aggressive, but you continued to approach. It became more aggressive as you continued down stream. STOP approaching. Walk away or back off, all the dog wants is space, same as you. Really, how hard is that? If you really really need to get back downstream, holler to the owner if the dog is friendly, or if they can restrain it while you pass. They would likely comply if you ask that way as opposed to firing warning shots into the water, at which point they would likely be justified putting hot lead into your COM. Water in your waders will be the least of your concerns.

If you're unable to use your superior human brain to find a way out of the situation (or avoid getting into it) without the use of a firearm, then frankly I question whether you should be carrying one. Postmen encounter aggressive dogs on a daily basis, and our suburban landscape isn't scattered with decaying puppy carcasses as a result.

Good luck with your future gun-toting adventures. Maybe you should check out Nutnfancy's selection of fine tacticool fly-fishing gear.

Last edited by booker_t; July 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.03216 seconds with 8 queries