View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 12:33 AM   #7
UncleGrumpy

Thanks for your help you have all made me think. I believe I may have solved the problem regarding the slop in the press and I believe the problem is me! (go figure)

It is a cam over press in which you are supposed to have the sizing die down tight on the ram and then lift the handle a little screw the die a little more to make sure the slop is gone.

I however turn the die down tight, then unscrew it 1/8th so that I am neck sizing with a full length die. Therefore I am leaving the slop in the presses action.

I also do something similar with the seating dies under the assumption that all dies have a crimping collar and you need to back off the die when using projectiles without the cannelure.

However the last two sets of dies I bought have been forster dies and the seating die instruction says to unscrew the die 1 turn so the spring is not totally compressed. This then is not touching the ram at all.

My procedure I follow has come from reading several books on how to reload from the 70-80's.

So, it seems that either need a few neck size dies for the old press or find a new style press that can handle the old with the new style dies I have.

cheers
Jeff

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries