View Single Post
Old March 19, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
EdInk

Flintlock/Percussion Pistol Kits

I would like to have a set of antique style duelling pistols. Unfortunately, the real ones are extremely expensive. (Also, I would be a little hesitant to shoot them given the uncertain quality of steel from the era.)

I haven't had any good luck finding a pair of modern production ones, which is what I would really like to purchase. (If the prices are reasonable.) However, I have found a few companies that offer DIY kits for these kinds of pistols. (I would just buy two of the same kit and accessories to make a full set of duelling pistols.)

Anyway, I was curious if anyone on the forum has any experience with making one of the pistols from a kit?

If so, are they difficult to assemble or could an average guy do it with good results without the help of a master woodworker to do alot of handfitting and what not? Are there certain brands which are better quality than others? MOST IMPORTANTLY, do they hold up if actually fired with any regularity? (I figured they would get shot 10-20rds each every few months for fun.)

Lastly, do the makers of these kits offer them completely assembled too? (Is it worth it, if they do?)

Thank you for your help.

Page generated in 0.03064 seconds with 8 queries