View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
PawPaw

Quote:
Wow, it is a rare and unhappy day -- I am going to vehemently disagree with Unclenick. Typically, in any scenario where I would do such a drastic thing...I'd most likely be DEAD wrong! I don't think I am in this case, however.

If you try to run a Berry's plated slug with the classic wadcutter load, you are VERY likely to stick that bullet in a bore...or, if you are lucky, it'll just lodge itself between the cylinder and forcing cone and end the shooting that day.
I've had quite the opposite experience. I ran some through my 6 inch SW Model 28 one day and they traveled over the chronograph at 650 fps. (2.8 grains Bullseye, CCI small pistol primer, Berry's wadcutter.). Having lost all caution at that point, I took another wadcutter cartridge and single-fed it into my 16" Model 1894C. Drew a deep breath and sent it over the chronograph. 600 fps. At that point I decided that I'd had enough good luck for one day and commenced testing other loads I had for the morning.

Your mileage might vary. My revolver, my rifle, my chronograph. I have stuck lead bullets in the barrel playing with very light loads, but I've never stuck a plated bullet, nor ever wanted to experiment with very light loads and plated bullets.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.02751 seconds with 8 queries