Thread: Compasses
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2007, 08:52 AM   #7
22-rimfire

Black Bear: Good summary of basic compass theory and navigation. I have not yet made the plunge to a GPS and still use a compass. Many people get the magnetic declination adjustment wrong and adjust in the opposite direction which can make things really OFF from True North.

Frankly, if I am not generally aware of my directions (N-S etc.) I get mixed up driving as I do a lot of instinctive driving from a direction perspective. (You know.... take a left here; this feels about right. This should take me in the general direction and area I want to be in.) This happens in cities mostly where the streets follow things like rivers rather than being oriented in a common quadrant system. I still prefer the old 4-quadrant compasses too. This type of compass embeds in your mind that there are 90 degrees per quadrant and keeps you always thinking in terms of North, South, East, and West. For serious stuff, I always take along my big Brunton pocket transit.

Was playing with my Leupold Yosemite bincoculars that you discussed and purchased in one of your last major threads. Really like them. These bincoculars I use with my perscription glasses ON more rather than taking them off.

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries