View Single Post
Old December 21, 2001, 06:45 PM   #33
bullseyekp

Mike,

You say I don't know squat about the qualifications or the experiences of members of the forum, what are you referencing? I don't believe I have wrongly questioned anyone's qualifications or experiences. I will point out that several people have said things that imply that blending powders is dangerous and it should never be done. "I condemn either practice" and "Don't try this at home!" are two examples. If a new reloader were to read this and nothing else, he would not know that blending powders is an alternative method to achieving desired ballistics.

"And, quite frankly, I could give you several powder combinations, using powders that are available now, that WOULD have the devastating consequences of which you speak.

Some combinations, in virtually ANY form, cause wildly unpredictable results and dangerous pressure transgressions."

You mean I can't substitute 30.4 grains of AA#2 and 13.1 grains of Bullseye for 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 in my .308? Get real! I am quite aware that some powder combinations have unpredictable results and dangerous pressures. Any reloader should know that; if not, he/she should not be reloading (or should be culled from the reloading fraternity by becoming a recipient of a Darwin Award.)

Now, I do agree that some on the board do not have the requisite experience to dabble in such mischief. Heck, I haven't taken the time to learn how to blend powders, nor have I learned how to conduct but a few of the many zillions of reloading experiments that my father does. However, that doens't mean that I don't want to learn. Heck, I wish I could interpret the hundreds of load data sheets that my father has amassed over the years so I could repeat some of his experiments. If someone on the board wants to learn how to do something, why not PROPERLY teach them. Even if forum members don't wish to attmept to blend powders, duplex, etc., who's to say that they aren't interested in the technique/process. Like DAVID NANCARROW said, "Nice to know it can be done if it ever came down to having no choice."

Also, less experienced reloaders on the forum have been warned numerous times (on TFL and in manuals) that blending and duplexing have inherent risks. If a reloader is stupid enough not to research the topic and mitigate those risks, then his actions are soley his responsibility. If any new reloaders do not realize this, they probably should not be reloading.

BTW, I am not advocating the posting of particular load data, UNLESS the issues surrounding such data are clearly documented before the data is shared. Also, Mr. Irwin, my above statements are not personal attacks nor are they meant to provoke a shouting match. I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Page generated in 0.03386 seconds with 8 queries