View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
22-rimfire

Quote:
I actually felt a tingle go up my thigh.
You might not want that to get out. Sounds like you're already substituting the gun for your wife and trying to put her to work to pay for your new hobby.

I think you did really well on your first outing at 50 yds. I probably would not have advanced past 25 yds the first day. I'm still there with my 475/480 BFR, but that is another story. Been lazy about mounting the red dot that I have already received.

I haven't shot a X-frame 460 S&W. I have shot the X-frame 500 S&W and liked it a lot. But I was shooting the lower weight bullets and really didn't experience the recoil of the heavier bullets. Done enough shooting to know that the recoil will be more substantial.

I believe you will eventually buy a SA big boomer. My first was the SRH in 480 Ruger if you don't count 41 mag and 44 mag. I found that shooting more than about 20 rounds in a day resulted in much poorer accuracy on my part. But the BFR SA really is more pleasant to shoot. I didn't like the SA style either... but there is a reason why the big bore shooters generally have a preference for SA revolvers over DA.

I'm still learning. So I don't consider myself any kind of expert on the big bore revolvers (44 mag +) although I am pretty comfortable and long experienced with the 41 mag.

With practice, you'll be ready for deer hunting in Penn's woods. Handgun hunting for deer is both challenging and rewarding. It becomes more than just getting the deer or being successful. Tis one of the reasons I'm thinking about a cross bow since I really don't want to put the practice time in required to restart my archery hunting from years ago.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; May 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.03020 seconds with 8 queries