View Single Post
Old March 13, 2014, 09:59 PM   #31
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
If 1,000,000 citizens get CCWs do you think that 0 CCW holders would be involved in a lethal force incident a calendar year later?
If a thousand cops get permission to carry guns do you think that none of them will be involved in a wrongful lethal force incident?

If not, the only logical conclusion is to disarm police.

I don't consider carrying a firearm to be a basic human right per se. Self defense is a basic human right. Firearms happen to be the most effective means of defense in a wide variety of situations. (Situational awareness and some basic psychology is perhaps even more important to decrease the chance that you'll have use a gun to begin with, but sometimes that isn't good enough.)

Letting cities, towns and counties decide for themselves whether to enact separate weapons policies (or really, separate policies on much of anything other than obviously local issues such as zoning or business regulation) is braindead. This isn't the 1800s or 1700s. People travel between jurisdictions, and to jurisdictions they're unfamiliar with, a lot more than they used to, and rarely have the inclination or time to get a rundown on the laws of every jurisdiction they pass through. And if they did, you'd have them disarmed for the entire trip just because one jurisdiction decides, in its infinite wisdom, to ban a weapon? (Knife laws are arguably even more schizophrenic.)

Such is the burden of multi-level government (which has its benefits, but not in cases like these).
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; March 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.03539 seconds with 8 queries