View Single Post
Old December 16, 2011, 08:39 AM   #29
nitro-express

I bought one when they first came out. Accuracy was phenomenal, with just about anything. The rifle was not without problems. The bolt had a stepped face, like it was first machined for a .473 and later re-machined for a mag. Remington warranty sucked back then, they did not help. I decided to fix it myself, bought a used 7mm and swapped bolts. Then I sold the 7mm cheap at a gun show. The 7mm had the barrel screwed on off center, took me 3 tries to get it bedded so the stock wouldn't touch. All the 700's I've owned shot better when free floated. The Remington 700 is a good design, I must be jinxed because just about everyone I've owned has had a major assembly flaw. I eventually tired of the rifle (20 years is long enough) and sold it also, for cheap, at another gun show. Gun shows seem to be the best place to sell turkey guns, people expect to buy project guns there. I mostly used H4831 and Fed215 primers. I'm not a very good hunter, never saw game when I hunted with it. Perhaps the game knew what was coming and ran away. Back then the only gun that came in 300 Weatherby was a Weatherby. The 8mm Mag and the 300 Weatherby aren't much different. They are both fine shooting calibers and neither is for the recoil sensitive. If you need a big gun for big (North American) game a 338 Win Mag is just about perfect, and if you need more range go for the 340 Weatherby. In the end I just bought an '06 and loaded it with 165 Sierra HPBT bullets with 57 gr of 4350 and a F210M and went hunting. Last season my son and I wanted to do a nostalgia hunt, he used a 300 Savage 99 and I used a Husky FN98 in 8x57, both without optics. Lots of fun, game was scarce, good father son experience. I'm beginning to really love the 8x57, kind of a neat caliber. I ramble, TTFN

Page generated in 0.03169 seconds with 8 queries