View Single Post
Old October 21, 2008, 10:19 PM   #10
60's Refugee

Lee makes a very nice conical mold for 1858 Rem BP revolvers. It is a double cavity, two ring, .450. Product number 90382. It is as large a bullet that can be loaded without removing the cylinder.

A conical is, in my experiance, more accurate, hits harder, and if properly lubed leaves less lead in the barrel. It makes a better seal and this reduces the chance of a chain fire. The base ring of the bullet is smaller diameter which makes it easy to set the bullet in the chamber for ramming in.

I cast mine using pure lead. I lube them with bees wax melted in a pan and cut from the cooled wax with a cutter made from a 45-70 cartridge. This leaves the grooves completely filled and offers even better sealing. I use a wad under the bullet.

A properly sized ball will leave a lead ring cut off when rammed into the chamber. I use a .454. This creates a good seal too, but a ball in a pistol has the same shortcoming as a ball in a rifle, IE it is less stable in flight than a proper conical. That being said, the best long range Kentucky rifle shots I've ever seen were with round balls, but the shooter was the variable IMHO more than the bullet.

Now, and I mean no disrespect here, if I was planning to be walking around in bear or wolf country I would carry a modern cartridge revolver rather than a BP revolver. Maybe even a bazooka!

Harry

Page generated in 0.03420 seconds with 8 queries