View Single Post
Old October 15, 2008, 09:35 PM   #11
NotJim

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that shoulder stock originally intended for use with the flare pistol, not the Mk VI revolver?
As it happens, I was just reading various links including some forum discussions on this topic. Here's one of particular interest.

Evidently (I've not seen the references), at least some of the Mk VI's that were fitted with shoulder stocks had a slot or groove cut in the frame to accept a tab or tongue on the inside face of the shoulder stock grips.

This makes some sense, since the ordinary Mark VI grips attach using a single central screw and a couple of sturdy but shallow pins that fit into holes in the otherwise flat inside surfaces of the grip panels. This arrangement might lack strength to support a shoulder stock reliably. But then, the stock's grips are made of steel and brass, both of which are a great deal stronger than bakelite. I would question whether the tongue/groove, which required a customized gun, were considered too troublesome or costly to be used in all cases.

The stock for the flare gun reportedly has no tongue/groove, but is otherwise practically identical to that intended for the Mk VI and fits the Mk VI grips. Images for comparison:

Above is a flare gun with stock, below a (reputed) stock for the pistol.

Legitimate questions abound. If a stock intended for a Webley flare gun fits the Mk VI perfectly now, it did so THEN as well. It's not farfetched to suspect they were considered interchangeable in their day.

Personally I'd not worry too much about the distinction unless authoritative references made it clearcut. The stocks appear to be very scarce -- veritable treasures nowadays regardless. I'd sure love to have one.

Some additional images of the stock in question (possibly a flare gun stock, assuming there's a difference!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunWebleyScottflaregun1.jpg (7.7 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg webleystock.jpg (20.2 KB, 863 views)

Page generated in 0.08004 seconds with 9 queries