View Single Post
Old April 5, 2012, 02:05 PM   #21
TheKlawMan

Misfires and Bloopers

Ii don't believe anyone covered a couple of other safety tips.

MISFIRES: A misfire is if nothing happens like when the primer fails to fire. You may hear a click but that is all. I may not have this right and jump in all if I don't, but keep your barrle pointed down range and DO NOT immediately open the action to eject the misfire. It may still "cook off"; meaning it may fire.

Wait at least 30 seconds and then, with the gun still pointed downrange, eject the bad round. At that point, I think it best to try to discharge it downrange. Sometimes a second firing pin strike will do the trick and sometimes it helps to try the second barrel if you have one.

BLOOPERS: A Blooper is when nothing but the primer ignites. You hear a funny little bloop sound and see your shot shoot a few feet ahead of you. DO NOT attempt to fire another round until your barrel is cleared, as the plastic wad may be stuck in the barrel. There are different ways to check to see if the barrel is clear and to clear a wad if it is present. Learn how to do so for your type of action. If you do not know, ask somebody on the line and they will be glad to help. If no one knows, as a range staff member. Firing down a barrel with a wad stuck in it is what I believe oneounceload calls bad juju.
I may have this all wrong

I thought to add how some people clear bloopers. Some clear a semi or a pump by blowing down the muzzle and blowing the wad into the open breech. I do not recommend this. My friend BigJimP told me about dropping a brass weight down the barrel to clear it. Much safer. If now one has a weight, there are ones sold just gor this purpose but I do not remember what they are called, you might try a clenaing rod or a fuzzy stick. You can even remove a barrel, clear it, and replace it in a couple of minues or less. It is even easier to clear a barrel on a break open action. Just open it and look down the barrel from the breach end.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; April 5, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.03837 seconds with 8 queries