View Single Post
Old September 12, 2007, 12:22 AM   #4
Shaun

one range used to frequent is completely public and never has a range officer on duty, it is a state range in PA. If you go there, and others are shooting you are supposed to ask who is acting as ranger officer, you can even be the RO if you so decide. Because anyone can drive up to the range and start blasting there were a couple times i was nervous about my fellow shooters.

Here is one that stands out.

This particular pistol range is about 30 yards down a hill from the place where you park and secluded from the road and rifle range. I was shooting some revolvers alone and three guys came down with a plastic grocery bag full of ammo and 2 stainless semi-autos (they looked like rugers). They were younger about 20ish, and wearing urban style clothing (sideways hats and baggy jeans) which doesnt bother me but was quite out of place at a rural pennsylvania shooting range. I made it look like i was inspecting my revolvers while they started to shoot, they didnt turn to ask if i was ready or even really acknowledge me. With no ear or eye protection they just started blasting, it was scary to watch them. No grouping of shots, random paper hits, even at 7 yards.

After they finished their first mags i asked if i could go change my target. Because i usually leave my guns sitting action open on the bench, I kept looking over at them as i walked out to change my paper. Whenever i went downrange at least one of the guys would stay at the firing line with their guns. After about 2 or 3 trips down range I started getting a bad vibe. I didnt like someone standing by the guns while i went downrange (if i wasnt alone i probably would have felt fine as long as my buddy stayed at the bench while i went down to the targets).I figured it was time for me to leave. I didnt want things to be awkward, because ive found that sometimes people are fine until YOU start acting weird. I knew i had a 100 foot walk back to my car and started to think, "what if they try and take my guns? or worse?" So while they were reloading, i slipped my 1911 out of my IWB holster under my shirt and with 4 quick double taps emptied the magazine. I proceded to slam in the second mag, run the slide home, and give them a quick glance. All three were looking at me. I grabbed my range bag and started walking back to my car, still holding my gun in my right hand. I didnt reholster until i got back to my car. Needless to say i was fine and might have overreacted, but I dont like to take chances around ignorant people holding firearms. Since then I have joined a private range and have not run into any problems at all.
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17

Page generated in 0.03442 seconds with 8 queries