View Single Post
Old September 8, 2011, 01:54 AM   #32
HiBC

To The OP

Touch,feel and squeeze as many rifles as you can before you make your decision and spend your money."In the end,do it YOUR way.Learn!You can buy/sell/trade later.Your ideas are worthy of respect.
Some folks like a German Shorthair,some like a Brittany.(Old,semi-ground mobile guys like me like a close working French Brittany,corners and plumb bottoms. Guys who will sprint 150 yds to a dog on point like shorthairs.)
Point is,we do shooting and guns for fun,mostly.Explore your ideas with confidence.WAY too many folks make their firearms choices based on some "approval"criteria.Doggone,guns are one place in life we ought to explore our preferences.You can prefer Coors,Bud,Fat Tire or Guiness,Blondes,Brunttes,Redheads,Medium rare,over easy.
My brother decided his rifle...his one serious rifle for everything,would be an AR-10-T.That is a bull bbl AR 308.He later bought a .300 Rem SAUM top end for it.He took to the tech stuff like a duck to water,and I am here to tell you,he can hit things with that rifle.He wore out the original Badger bbl and just put a Krieger on it.I have seen him hump that pig up into the Flat Tops wilderness in Colorado,near 9000 ft,on foot with me,with a long week's worth of gear,in a pack,on our backs.(first night we were hit with a blue lightning,zip,crash thunder/blizzard all night long and woke up to over the knees snow!
I offer him my lightweight bolt guns,he just grins,says "This is my rifle"

You just get good enough with it to kill clean,with respect for the critter you are shooting.Make it short,quick,clean...and do it with whatever tool trips your trigger.If you choose an 11 lb .308 ..thats up to you.If you choose a 6.75 lb 7-08...I do not think a game animal at 300 yds can tell the difference.
But,between you and me,I think if we handed Kraigwy,or Zak,a 30-40 Krag,or an SMLE in .303 British,let them shoot a couple boxes of ammo to get familiar with that rifle,they could get done whatever needs doing.A long way off.
As a gentleman who repiled suggested,an old Marlin in 38-55 will feed you fine.
We have a member here,HunterGirl...I get the idea she knows a thing or two about hunting elk,and I got the impression she wants a good tool for a gun,but it's sort of the hammer she pounds nails with.
Have fun!

Page generated in 0.02599 seconds with 8 queries