View Single Post
Old April 1, 2006, 10:39 PM   #4
WIN71

ok

What I ment by my comment was that is about a $450.00 press new so unless one of the castings is crasked it's a steel. I bought one about 4 years ago. Originally they were produced by Pacific. Although mine was sold as Hornady some of the parts are still marked Pacific. If it were me I would put some empty fired hulls in and work the handle. You'll need to clamp it to something semi solid. Go slow and watch everything that moves. Look for excessive springing, bending or cracks opening up. Each stroke should move the charging bar one way then on the next stroke the other way. There is a shut of lever at each end of the bar that controls the flow/no flow of both powder or shot. It doesn't matter which way they are turned for a function test as the bar moves either way or it should if working properly. The linkage for this movement is in the back of the press and fairly straight forward. If you want to inspect the charging bar, housing, and shot/powder tubes you can loosen the only knurled screw on the right side of the casting that holds the bar housing. It's right between the shot/powder tubes and below. Twist a little and the whole assembly will come out of the linkage in the back and you can strip it down to all the individule parts. I forget which one but either the powder or shot bushing will probably fall out.
If after doing all this and you find nothing broken, cracked, or missing you should be fine. That finger you refer to that advances the shell holder is an easy fix. It's made to lift up so you can cycle the machine without advancing the hulls. Handy when something goes wrong. If this press has sat around a long time unbolt the large nut in the center of the shell holder, lift out the plate and make sure there arn't old spent primers, shot or any other foreign material between the plate and casting. It will bind everything up if it's there.
Don't worry about the drop tube for the primers, that's easily replaced.
Other than that, if it has all the parts the one in your picture has you should be ok.

Ron
P.S. Sorry about the "thief" comment. If everything turns out ok on this press deal for $50.00 you"ll be promoted to used car salesman.........!!

Page generated in 0.02178 seconds with 8 queries