View Single Post
Old December 24, 2004, 02:48 PM   #1
ebd10

Confession of a new reader

I just picked up my first ever issue of SWAT. The main reason that I have never read it before is because I thought that it was a journal for "wannabes". I'm not a cop, security person or any type of "operator" (that term still gives me visions of heavily-armed phone company employees ), and I haven't been a soldier for a long time. It just so happened that I was desperate for reading material, so I bought a copy on a lark. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was full of practical advice for anyone who carries concealed! A new fan is made!

My only bone of contention (and it is REALLY nitpicky) is the article by Clint Smith about the Sharps rifle. He mentions the famous shot by Billy Dixon as being a "nominal 1200 yards". In everything I've read, it measured 1538 yards. Dixon himself said that it was a lucky shot, but as he was a buffalo hunter and an avid target shooter, it's not hard to imagine that his luck was born of skill and practice.

Other than that, I found the magazine to be informative AND entertaining. Even my wife liked the article about the defensive handgun class for women. Keep up the good work. You've won a new reader because of it.
ebd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03455 seconds with 8 queries