Thread: True Encounter
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1
mes228

True Encounter

True story, happened yesterday, made short, my wife was "fake" charged by a black bear while we were riding bicycles. The bear was about 30 yds. away across a road and maybe 10 feet back in the woods. She dismounted to take a picture. I was about 15 yards further up the bike trail but stopped and looked back laying my bike down. The bear with absolutely no warning charged full speed straight toward her. I in turn started running toward her and the bear. In the last few feet the bear veered away. She was scared nearly to death and stood there (I believe that was the correct thing to do). This whole thing from seeing the bear to charge took maybe 3 or 4 seconds. The point I want to make was I was "thoughtless" in the encounter. I felt nothing, no fear, no anger, just running hard to get to her as the bear ran toward her. I "thought" of nothing I was "blank". I have no idea what I would have done if the bear had continued it's charge. I had no firearm as I was in a National Park. I did have a pocket knife - but it never occurred to me during the sprint toward my wife. I thought of it later. The point I wish to make with this story is it all happened in a heart beat. A bear can cover 25-30 yds in maybe 2-3 seconds. I was disapointed in my self for not "thinking" of a weapon ie stick, rock, pocket knife etc. I was on auto-pilot of some sort. Maybe if it had ended in a struggle with the bear I would have thought of the pocket knife or a stick or a rock. I do think if I had been armed - which I always am elsewhere - I would have killed the bear if I could have. I don't think I'll be so quick to judge others as to "why didn't they do this- or that".
Things go to pieces in a heart beat sometimes and you may go into auto-pilot mode. This was my first encounter with a fake charge. I have killed a bear from a tree stand but this was totally different.

Page generated in 0.03316 seconds with 8 queries