View Single Post
Old March 29, 2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ultimately?

No. It just ratchets up the introduction of cartridge handguns by several years and kills of some of the odder patent ignition systems somewhat earlier.

Remember, the White Patent didn't apply to shotguns or rifles, so that was a driving force in cartridge development right there.

Consider this...

Metallic cartridge development was evolving EXCEPTIONALLY rapidly at this time on multiple fronts.

Rimfire ammunition was already flourishing in calibers from .22 Short to .58 Gardiner.

Advances in metal working technology during the war was driving adoption of deep draw forming techniques that were necessary for forming longer rifle cases like the .45-70 out of the stronger brass, not just the more malleable, but much weaker, copper. This factor alone was absolutely crucial with the advent of the far more powerful smokeless powders.

Adoption of brass cartridge cases made both the Boxer and Berdan centerfire priming systems viable, and within in a short period of time, dominant over the internal primed centerfire systems by Benet, Martin, and others.

Specifically to handguns, the second the White patent expired, manufacturers rolled out designs (such as the Model of 1872 Colt Open Top) for cartridge revolvers that they had been preparing for several years in anticipation of the White patent expiration.

Ultimately, I don't think 4 years made a bit of difference in the development of cartridge firearms.

I think, though, a far more interesting avenue of speculation would be...

What would have happened had Smith & Wesson been granted the 25-year patent extension that they requested?

That's where things get really interesting.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02324 seconds with 8 queries