View Single Post
Old October 6, 2010, 04:50 PM   #88
therealdeal

Quote:
"Common practice" now trumps the law of the land.

The police are ONLY entitled to ask WHO YOU ARE (under federal and state law in this case).

They are NOT entitled to ask you to produce any document to prove who you are, just to ask you to identify yourself.

The police may not do more than ask if they do not have some rational of illegal activity.
brickeye, I dont wear a uniform and I dont ask for peoples ID's so dont try to throw that in my face. My feeling would be the same either way. nothing you said above changes the fact that it happens all the time so I dont get your point. I also never said I disagreed with the 4th amendment and the federal law; I just want you to know that. Next time your 17yr old nephew, son, or cousin(I don't know your age) is approached by an officer at a party or wherever, tell him to refuse to give up his ID while telling the Officer its in his pocket and see what happens. I am just saying- not everyone in America knows their rights as much as the next guy. That doesn't take into account rookie cops, d&^%heads, what community or state you're in, and so-on. I myself don't see a problem with coughing up my license, gov't ID, vet card, NRA card, or whatever because I am proud of it. That doesn't mean I don't side w/the guyz out there fighting for their rights+the Constitution, but you know not all cops who ask for an ID are trying to abuse their authority and/or step on your rights. If you have rights then don't be afraid to stand up for them or voice them which it seems you might be. I am all for that.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)

Page generated in 0.04876 seconds with 8 queries