View Single Post
Old March 28, 2010, 02:02 AM   #28
christcorp

Crosshair is correct. The glock is neither SAO or DAO. It's a hybrid. The striker fire is irrelevant. Striker fire simply means that instead of a hammer coming back and hitting a firing pin after being released, and the firing pin striking the primer; the firing pin itself is pulled back and locked into place. And then the sear releases the firing pin; like a crossbow would a bolt (Arrow), and the firing pin hits the primer.

But with the glock, when you jack a round into the chamber, the firing pin only goes back part way. It requires pulling the trigger to make the firing pin (Striker), go all the way back and then release forward. On a side not, I don't like the glock or other SAO type striker fired weapons for carry purposes. I don't like a gun that has the firing pin held back under spring tension, and I want a gun that has 2nd strike capabilities. You can't do that with a glock or hi-point. Fine for home defense or in a situation where you have time on your side. I don't mind carrying one with an empty chamber, but not with one in the chamber. But I still wouldn't carry one because if for whatever reason the round doesn't fire, I want to be able to pull the trigger again without chambering a new round into the gun. Chambering a round initially is fine when you have time. But once you've engaged the bad guy, I don't want to have to risk chambering again. I stick with DAO/SAO pistols with hammers.

Page generated in 0.03675 seconds with 8 queries