View Single Post
Old November 23, 2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Daryl

Quote:
It seems to work well enough for cities. Do you think the founding of New York, New Jersey and New Orleans prompted those who live in the originals to refer to them as "Old"?
No, but I'd bet those in the "new" cities did.

Lots of people refer to the "new Vaquero" as simply "Vaquero". It's a lot more common than someone thinking that their Vaquero is a 3 screw. Call it ignorance, or just not wanting to type "New" in the name, but it happens. In my opinion, the lack of a half cock notch, or three screws is far less important than someone blowing up a New Vaquero because they forgot to say "New Vaquero" and used the wrong data.

I don't overload my .45's, but I do load them to the capabilities of the cartridge in my firearms at times. I see it as no different than loading a .44 mag or .357 mag to their capabilities. The .45 Colt at SAAMI spec's isn't suitable for some of the hunting I do, but the .45 Colt loaded with a 300 grain bullet at 1200-1300 fps is, and I happen to like the .45.

I try not to give folks a hard time about the terminology either way, and I've seen the posts over on the Ruger.com forum. Mostly I see threads turned every which way over someone using a term that others are apparently offended by, and the original question oft-times goes unanswered as a result.

I agree that Ruger sort of did the pooch on this one. Either way it's going to confuse people, and sometimes ignorance isn't bliss. It can get the unknowledgeable hurt, and hurt bad; especially if they don't know any more about handloading than they do about what firearm they have.

Daryl

Page generated in 0.02256 seconds with 8 queries