View Single Post
Old September 17, 2013, 08:05 AM   #53
rodfac

Easy for the auto: any GOOD 1911, preferably a "Commander" length barreled one. My current flame is a Ruger SR1911, with extra fitted barrel/slides in 9mm, .38 Super and .22 lr., making it a true, 4-caliber 1911. It's about as useful a gun as you can imagine.

The revolver is a little more difficult. Picking from what I own, I'd go with a Ruger Flat Top .44 Special with that most useful of all barrel lengths: the 4-5/8". I have two of them, but for serious, long term use in all conditions, I'd pick the SS version. Loaded for bear, it'll push a 240 gr LSWC to 1200 fps, or throttled down for practice to 750, it's my pick for all around use.

While I do own a cpl .44 Magnums: a Ruger with a 6-1/2" barrel and a S&W Classic with a 6-1/2" tube, neither is good for day in day out carry while mounted on any sort of conveyance. Those big .44's allow speeds up to 1500 fps, but are just too big for comfort...and at 67 years old, comfort is what it's all about.

HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; September 17, 2013 at 08:13 AM.

Page generated in 0.03040 seconds with 8 queries