Thread: Bird Number 3
View Single Post
Old April 3, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Hunting Jim

Todd, very nice bird! I like the photo too. Very nicely done. You're very lucky that the hen didn't mess it up. One time in WI. I had a hen come running right to the hen decoy and start to peck away for food. She was only 10 yards away. After about ten minutes of her "real" yelps, I had a Tom coming in from the front and another coming behind me. I was sitting against the corner post of a 4 strand barbed wire fence. These two Toms were coming fast gobbling all the way. The bird coming from the front ran right through the fence and proceeded to fight the other Tom. I couldn't turn around to see the fight due to the hen in front of my left boot. After about 25 seconds, the wires on the fence shook and the Loser came running by. He didn't want anything to do with the hen,he just wanted away. My problem was, do I wait for the Winner, or really mess up the Loser's day? A bird in the hand is better than an unseen one. I got that the Loser. He turned out to be a very old (for a wild bird) With 1 1/4" spurs, a 10 3/4" beard, but weighing only 15lbs. At that time, WI. was collecting data on all the birds killed, They ask if they could have one spur to X-Ray, therefore aging the bird at 5 1/2 yrs. I was told that he might have been one of the first birds planted in WI.

Page generated in 0.03392 seconds with 8 queries