View Single Post
Old February 13, 2005, 09:09 AM   #5
VonFatman

Thank you gents!

I am using a Dillon with Dillon dies which have a separate crimp die.

Since I have only run about 20 of these bullets thru the press, I am thinking it is pretty quick for the seater or crimp die to be crud'd up but imagine that must be the problem...thus, I'm guessing I have cruddy bullets. These may be homemade bullets (I suspect so).

Here's what I found out: I switched from my Model 49 to my snubbie M&P and has the same problem...could not close the cylinder without much effort to clean the edges of the exposed bullet. Then the cylinder would close and the gun would function...I had to stop from time-to-time to clean a bullet ot two to keep the gun functioning.

Then, I switched to my wives 15-4 and found no problems at all as the cylinder chamber(s) seemed larger and took the bullets in stride!

If I had not switched guns, I might have tossed the bullets.

There is no crimp groove on these bullets. Per your suggestions, I think I will back the crimp die off a bit to simulate the way I snug in my plated Rainiers (44 or 45) which also have no crimp groove. Sound like a plan?

I'm absolutly following the recommended OAL vs. the setback(s) I'd seen on other bullets.

I sure appreciate you all taking time to help me out.

Bob

Page generated in 0.02821 seconds with 8 queries