View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 06:31 AM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
Also there are some tremendous deals available for 480 RH on gunbroker. I am a little concerned that the caliber might go away.
correction... there used to be... I was going to get one, but could never pull the cash together... those have dried up, & Ruger has started producing new ones, & they are kinda tough to get right now, & carry full price... I guess I snoozed & losed...

as mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the uber long cylinders, but also not a big fan of ultra high pressure cartridges like the full strength Casull the 480 Ruger is a normal magnum pressure round, & falls nicely between my medium 454 loads, & my custom 50 A.E. revolver... I can see one in my future... a "normal" magnum length cylinder seems to balance much better in "my" hand, than the long cylinder guns... also, the shooter should be very careful of the barrel cylinder gap on guns like the X frame, especially with longer barrels, I've learned the hard way with high pressure rounds, & long barrels, there can be the desire to steady the gun, by holding or supporting the long barrel, & I've burned my wrist a couple times doing that... so I've kinda graduated to nothing longer than a 6" barrel on my revolvers to eliminate my tendency to burn my wrists

as for not shooting short for chamber, rounds, this is something I learned in the 357 Maximum... Trailboss can be safely loaded in these big cases, giving a large variety of lower pressure / recoil / noise levels in the "dino guns", without developing carbon rings where they don't belong in the chambers...

Page generated in 0.02168 seconds with 8 queries