View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1
dahermit

Colt Police Positive fixed sights adjustment

I have recently purchased an old Colt Police Positive in .38 Special. The reason I bought it was that I have never owned, studied or worked on a Colt double-action before. I have always wanted on to compare lock-works of Smith & Wesson to Colt double-actions, and this was my chance.

Wow! What a heavy double-action pull! I suspect that this gun was carried a lot (by a right-hander, inasmuch as the right grip panel is quite worn), but shot very little (as the heavy trigger-pull would discourage much shooting).
I did a search on Colt double-action lock-work and refreshed my memory as to fix the heavy trigger pull by putting a bend in the mainspring. It worked beautifully. Double-action trigger is now light enough to actually use. It improved the single action pull also.
However, the gun shoots way left of the aiming point (See photo of target). It shots about seven inches to the left of the aiming point at 17 yards (my home range standard handgun distance). I am using 2.7 Bullseye with a 148 grain wadcutter.
My primary interest is that I do not care for the remedies that I am aware of that are commonly suggested for shifting the point of aim inasmuch as I want to keep the old gun stock condition. Therefore, I am not interested in having an adjustable rear sight installed. Bending the front sight reeks of Bubba-ism. Not crazy about filing on the front sight either. Having a gunsmith unscrew the barrel a little does not thrill me that much either.
Therefore, have I overlooked anything that would shift the point of impact to the right while maintaining the original status of the gun? I am racking my brain and have not come up with good method. The front sight is of this type:

Page generated in 0.03765 seconds with 8 queries