View Single Post
Old April 11, 2012, 11:08 AM   #45
F. Guffey

“Wilson's step-gage (and others using the same methods) required the human eye to judge the case head to reference dimension by comparing the case head's alignment with the two gaging surfaces”

Bart B, those that are challenged and not familiar with tools and have trouble following instructions agree with you, I would suggest you locate a L.E. Wilson case gage and a dial caliper or a 2”-3” micrometer, with the dial caliper and or outside micrometer measure the length of the Wilson case gage. the 30/06 gage is 2.494 long, the 30/06 case maximum length is 2.494.

The instruction furnished by Wilson says to use a steel pocket rule, I say use a straight edge or a set up table, I say with a steel rule or a straight edge or a set up table the reloader that is familiar with tools can use a feeler gage to determine the length of the case from the shoulder/datum to the flat surface of the steel pocket rule, straight edge or set up table of they can keep up with an index of .000” thousandths.

Larry Wills uses Wilsons name and picture of a Wilson case gage on his site, I do not think Larry is fair to the Wilson case gage when he compares his tool to the Wilson case gage, I understand Larry and his motive, he is trying to sell his tool, you on the other hand must have another motive, it is not difficult for me to perceive the Wilson case gage as an open-end tool, it is natural for me to furnish the tools necessary to turn it into a precision tool, again, I make tools.

I have to ask, are you trying to reinvent head space? There were smiths and reloaders doing this stuff long before you, give them a little credit, I could quote information from a book printed in the late 40s, the smith/writer/author said there were different methods used when chambering a barrel, he said he preferred the store bought gages, but he said, other smiths have used other methods very successful, then there are those of us that have instructions that came with barrels, starts out with “If you have a head space gage etc., etc., if not use this method...”

I could furnish the name of the book and smith that wrote the book but indifference on this forum would cause someone to say “I never heard of him” and, I claim I never read Hatcher, having never read Hatcher allows me to disagree with those that claim/Hatcher “said”, when I disagree with Hatcher and someone believes I read the same book they go straight to “You can’s read” .

After all he moved the shoulder forward .080” thousandths, fired 30/06 cases in his new creation without case head separation, and I fired 8mm57 ammo in an 8mm/06 chamber, that is .127” thousandths head space without separation. Then a friend build a wildcat using an 03 action, 5 of the first 10 cases he fired suffered case head separation?????? Hatcher’s experiment failed, and my friends attempt at forming cases was successful, same action.

Nothing like being fair, nothing like being objective, “(and others using the same methods)” there is nothing wrong with having limited knowledge and skill when using tools. I believe it is common for the light to go out when the bolt closes and it gets dark, again, I check head space at least three different ways, 2 of those ways/methods do not include a head space gage, even though I have the tools necessary to make them and the means for checking them, head space gages are coveted, those that have them limit their use because of a limited knowledge and understanding of the tool.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03593 seconds with 8 queries