View Single Post
Old November 21, 2002, 10:34 AM   #13
JerryM

I would also guess that headspace is the problem from not correctly adjusting the sizing die.

For those cases which had the backed out primer, you can do one of two things, which you would do for slightly excessive headspace in a rifle.

First, you can load the rounds with the bullets contacting the lands hard enough to feel some pressure when closing the bolt. You should see land marks on the bullet if you try it to check the length. Note that this raises pressures so reduce your loads two or three grains below your normal max.

Second, you can neck up the cases to something like .30 for the .270. Hopefully this won't collapse the necks or shoulder. I do this for a 30-06 which will close on a no-go gage, using a .338 tapered expander button. After necking up the case, then start necking it down to .270 checking often until it just enters the chamber with slightly greater than the normal chambering pressure. The case is then headspacing on the intersection of the neck and the shoulder. This is more trouble, but I prefer it slightly to the other method, especially with new cases if the rifle has excessive, but not dangerous, headspace.

Let us know what you find out.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Page generated in 0.03067 seconds with 8 queries