View Single Post
Old March 3, 2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

starting a Walker... uhhh... "rebuild"

so I had a post in the revolver section a while back, on the 45 Black powder magnum on a conversion cylinder for the Walkers... it seemed pretty interesting to me...

had to talk to my local retired builder buddy... ( he loves working on this type of project, & has strengthened 5-6 open top revolvers for "permanent" cartridge conversions... I have 2 of which, a lil pocket, now chambered in 32 S&W, & another ( navy ??? sorry, not up on my black powder revolvers ) chambered in 32-20... both will handle sane smokeless loads... he's just completed an 1858 in 41 "special" ( 41 magnum cases trimmed to "special" length )

... so, on to my next build... we discussed the issues around future shooters shooting our guns, when we are gone, & he doesn't like the fact, that a 454 Casull will fit in the 45 BPM chamber, so we briefly discussed using 444 marlin cases shortened & pushing 45 caliber bullets, however, a 44 Magnum could still be inserted ( though the gun would likely "contain the explosion" since the case would be loose, & the bullet loose in the barrel ) a 44 Magnum would still likely fire...

so from there... where do you go ??? um... bigger ???

right now we are thinking a 5 round cylinder, with 348 / 50 Alaskan cases trimmed to length...

part of the reason I'm posting here, is right now, I'm thinking Trailboss, to start with, but in the near future, I'd like to do some blackpowder cartridge shooting... so... open for thoughts or suggestions

BTW... he asked me if I wanted the barrel the 9" long or what... have been himming & hawing on that... then I saw those pictures on the Archangle chops ( I love a good snubbie ) but I'm thinking it should ( probably ) be longer... how long ??? my 1st thought, is barrel sticking out, the same length as the frame block, so 3" of barrel ( I think that block is about 3" ) for a total of 6"

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 3, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.03960 seconds with 8 queries