View Single Post
Old October 15, 2013, 01:18 AM   #12
bamaranger

other food sources

The OP is looking for other food sources beyond a nut/ mast crop. In poor mast years, I look at browse.
-honeysuckle, deer will browse heavily on honeysuckle, any thicket/fencerow or concentration of the stuff should have deer activity
-sawbriar/smilax, deer will browse on this stuff too, though I think they like the new shoots better than the older vines. Often, sawbriar and honeysuckle start in the same cover, so more the better
-secondary growth, hardwood browse. Find some old slash or cutover with concentrations of young hardwood growth. There was a succession type maple in VA, PA, and along the Appalachians but I cannot recall the exact name, ...stripped maple maybe, or whistlewood, goosefoot maple (after the leaf) that deer browsed in the winter when I was in that country.
-check out powerlines and ROW's. They are oft maintained and will have secondary growth, briar, etc due to frequent mowing. Deer will feed on these open areas at night and move back to cover and vice/versa in the PM
-spring seeps....often will hold green growth late into fall,and the greenery draws deer as a food source.

Not many acorns in N. AL this year so far either, though I keep scouting for a hot tree.

Page generated in 0.02377 seconds with 8 queries