View Single Post
Old February 25, 2008, 07:47 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

I honestly wasn't trying to offend anyone... just felt a bit offended that the gun I carry 90% of the time ( & you all know now what I have available to me ), was blown off as "not a real weapon"

... I have my own rifle & pistol shooting range, & do practice shooting acurately, I used my 357 Magnum (6 shot) revolver to range qualify with for my CCW license ( got a perfect score BTW with 2 reloads )... still the 44 special with adjustable rear sight, & fiber optic front sight is the weapon I would carry before almost any other...

...I've been doing the "normal" belt & holster research, but still have more issues with a guns weight, that it's size within reason... I actually went into the toy store ( the day I bought my Witness 10mm ) with the intent of buying my 1st plastic gun... the Glock was my 1st choice... but I found the grip fit ( for me ) was so horrible, that I just couldn't make myself buy one... yes the Witness is heavier, but it fits my hand like a glove...

... so now for the 2nd time I've posted on this thread, primarily defending my choice of carry weapon, rather than disussing the training techniques of which I started the thread about in the 1st place... I'm going to steer it back in the right direction again... ( thanks to those that did post in response to my questions )....

so the general concensus seems to be to not train in any one pattern... I'm curious the expirience levels of those who recommend that ( I'm not doubting you guys, just trying to return this back to training questions, not about my choice of weapon )...my expirience ( & what is generally taught ), is that under stress we don't think as clearly or remember details as well, & rely more on muscle memory & engrained memory... my thoughts along those lines was, I can train all I want on the acurate use of my weapon, but when someone shoots back, most of your training goes out the window, & you do what comes "naturally"

... shortly after I joined this forum, I posted a humorous post in which I had to shoot an animal in "self defense"... it happened while I was deer hunting, & while I won't go into the long story,even though it was funny, I had to draw my handgun & shoot, even though I had a rifle with ( I had allowed the animal to get too close to use the rifle, in disbelief that I was actually going to have to shoot it ) & it was at that point instinct, not thought about the situation that was used to shoot the animal... it happened too fast, & came unexpectedly... just like most would tell you bad guy attacks happen... but truth be told, we can try not to put ourselves in situations where bad guy attacks happen, & I do that already... but there is always that once, where it comes when you least expect it, that IMO, you need that instictual training

... I'm hoping that if I train around 5 shots,that I'll be able to make the best use of my 1st 5 shots... if I'm carrying a 5 shot revolver, I'm fine, if I'm carrying the 10mm all the better... thats really all I'm after here, is how to train to best use my 1st 5 shots

Page generated in 0.02556 seconds with 8 queries