View Single Post
Old January 17, 2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Goatwhiskers

As far as tumble lube bullets, Lee sells a liquid Alox compound that you use by putting a couple handfuls of bullets in a bowl, add a few drops of the compound, and tumble until all are covered, then set out on wax paper to dry overnite. You then size and lube again. The bullets will be very slightly tacky even when dry, I roll mine across a rag with cornstarch sprinkled on it, kinda like the flour rag your mama used when making biscuits. No, biscuits don't come out of a can. Lead WW are going the way of the dodo, but there are other sources. You can often buy from scrap yards, advertise on Craigslist, there is plumber's lead, roofing lead scrap from roofers, check with smaller tire shops, use your imagination. Bear in mind that WW make good bullets as is after you get rid of the steel and zinc ones, zinc will ruin your alloy. Plumbers lead, roofing lead, and lead stick-on WW are basically pure lead and are only good for muzzle loaders, otherwise it must be alloyed to bring up the hardness. Try going to www.castboolits.gunloads.com, there is more info there than you can digest in one reading. It's a fun game, enjoy! GW

Edit: after reading the above post, be very careful when buying WW lead off of fleabay, I have read of others buying stuff that turned out to be contaminated with zinc. If your heat is high enough it is possible to melt lead and zinc together and zinc ruins the alloy forever.

Page generated in 0.03810 seconds with 8 queries