View Single Post
Old December 4, 2008, 02:09 PM   #1
LateNightFlight

Snap! ... My powder got wet?

I'm a couple of seasons new to black powder but I’ve gotten along fine with my TC Encore until this morning. A respectable 8 pointer (nicer body than rack) ran across the pasture after a doe and both of them stopped about 30 yards below my stand. I put the cross hairs behind his shoulder and, "Snap!" All that went off was the primer. That was a first for me and now I'm wondering about how I take care of my rig and what other people do?

I've been doing what I've done in the past and end each day by removing the primer, leaving the powder and bullet in place, and putting the gun away until the next day. The only thing I can come up with is that I had one day of hunting in the rain this season. Last Saturday, the gun got wet but the breech was protected by my coat and I kept the muzzle down. I assumed this would be sufficient.

My only guess is the Triple 7 pellets either got wet without me realizing it or the dampness and humidity was enough to do them in. When I got back to the house this morning, I pulled the breech plug to inspect them but they apparently got launched with the bullet when the primer went off. Needless to say, this was a far cry from the cloud of smoke and dead buck I was expecting. I bet the look on my face was “priceless.” The things that came out of my mouth were “colorful.”

Obviously, I screwed up. I’m wondering what others do to ensure they have a working load, day-to-day, during the season? Do you fire it off at the end of the day? Or, pull the plug, empty, inspect? Start with fresh powder everyday? Or, everyday it rains? What about while hunting in the rain... rubber band some plastic wrap over the muzzle?

Page generated in 0.02672 seconds with 8 queries