View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Hummer70

As Bart points out the mouth coating on military ammo can increase bullet pull but it can be far worse than that.

For instance the spec for the M118LR calls for a minimum bullet pull of 10 lbs and there is no max on the spec for some reason.

My last contact in the ammo industry tells me a bullet pull of 300 lbs is not excessive.

If you ever get the chance to pull some LC Match ammo you will be utterly amazed at how much difference there is in bullet pulls.High variations in bullet pull will give you vertical dispersion at long range that will drive you nuts.

The only way you know what to expect is chronograph your ammo. For long range you want a SD around 5. The Marine Corps ammo room wanted a SD of no more than 10 for their long range ammo in 14s.

Years ago I had a conversation with the owner of an ammo company in Fon Du Lac Wisconsin??? They loaded all pistol ammo and the name escapes me which is nothing new when you have CRS. As I remember their boxes were yellow and all of their cases were brass and not plated.

At any rate he told me the mouth sealant he used came from Olney paint company and they quit making it and he had to find something else.

The new stuff was a real pain. I was using it for qualification in Gov't Model 45 and I could get through one 60 round string fine. If I ran the course again about half way through I started to get FTLs (failure to lock) and the cases were gummy as was the chamber.

I called the manufacturer and talked with the owner and he explained he was trying to find something else as he had become aware of the problem. Never heard any more after that and apparently he went out of the business as I have not seen that ammo in over 20 years. He also told me there were like two previous owners and their QA was bad and there was lots of overpressure ammo loaded by previous owners.

So to keep shooting it I had to clean my 45 immediatley after shooting each string and the chamber was actually sticky.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT

Page generated in 0.03343 seconds with 8 queries