View Single Post
Old May 15, 2010, 05:01 PM   #1
kokopelli

This is sad...PD firearms qualifications

In these days of budget crunches and 'P.C'. projects taking the spotlight on what tax dollars are spent, I can't help but feel that the public is getting the short end of the stick, as it were in regards to being 'protected and served'.

-I work for a large metro police department with ~1,200 sworn officers. Without going into a lengthy rant on what's going on within the city and the department, I just wanted to get other's opinions on our agency's firearms training.

We qualify two times a year with our duty weapons. TWICE a year. That's it. For the vast majority of the officers, this is the ONLY time they fire their weapons- they don't shoot independently, which I can't understand. Anyway, our Spring quals were just finished up- this years course? 20 rounds fired. Total. -Standing.

I'm sorry, but I personally feel like this is a problem. When we are held responsible to be proficient with a weapon that we carry with the duty to protect other's lives, this is simply not enough training. Expecting that the officers are going to practice on their own -and realizing full and well that is not the case- I'm just feeling a little baffled.
-Reason? Money. Yep- dollars and cents. Ammo is too much.

There you have it folks- your safety comes down to the choice between bullets or landscaping that looks nice, etc.

Sad.

Page generated in 0.02761 seconds with 8 queries