View Single Post
Old October 8, 2006, 08:10 PM   #4
DynaBMan

Quote:
I have a handful of Ruger 44 mags. None of them shoot the lighter weight bullets as well as they do the 240-250 gr. bullets. Some of them don't even group the bullets, more like a shotgun pattern!!! Try the lighter bullets if you want but I have more faith in the mid-range bullet weights. A good 240-250 gr. will do the job!!! I just don't see the need for the 300- plus gr. bullet weights. I have shot 3 Mule deer with 44 mag handguns and haven't ever found a bullet. Complete pass through on every one!!!
I have always shot the 240 gr. bullets, but I haven't actually went deer hunting with them. I suppose I was just afraid I would have a pass through and not get any expansion and thereby very little or no blood. I have always hunted with a 30.06 and have had a habit of shooting the deer right on the point of the shoulder. Very effective and I have not had to track a single deer. My wife, on the other hand, fusses at me because it messes the shoulder completely up and is hard to dress out. We usually process the meat ourselves.

I suppose I will probably stick with the 240 XTP, but the 180 XTP looks promising as well.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries