View Single Post
Old February 1, 2014, 11:54 AM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by L_Killkenny:

The Drahthaar is probably the best going but rare in the U.S. Some use Pointing Griffons and wirehaired pointers as poormans versatile hunting dogs.
I have a registered Drahthaar layin' at my feet as I type this. If I wanted to register her AKC, she would be a German Wirehair Pointer. Kinda like a .44 Magnum and a .44 Remington Magnum. Depends on who you ask. Over the years I have had both. Drahthaar snobs generally claim their dogs are better because of the tests and the more selective breeding, and thus they should be considered a separate breed. If you're going to hang in those circles or wish to compete within, you'll need to cough up the bucks. For the guy who just wants to hunt with a versatile continental breed, they will never see a difference. As with any purebred dog, selective breeding is important. Reputable Wirehair breeders will be just as selective as Drahthaar breeders. Mom and pop and brother in laws, not so much. But again, this will be true with any purebred dog.

Trouble with versatile dogs is they are versatile. They instinctively will want to trail and hunt deer/rabbits/hogs when you and your buddies are hunting pheasants. They need to be trained to hunt what you want, when you want or not be punished or criticized when they follow their instincts. This is why they are not for everybody. But Versatile dogs learn quickly and have a strong desire to please. Their owners just need to have the time and knowledge to do so. Versatile dogs generally have a high amount of drive and need to be challenged and exercised daily. Don't have the time or desire, get something else. Versatile dogs love the water and will want to be in it whenever they are around it. This is what makes them good waterfowl dogs. Hounds, beagles are not good swimmers and do not like the water....thus ain't much for waterfowl. They also don't tend to retrieve like a Retriever or Versatile dog.. Versatile dogs tend to be pointers. If all your buddies hunt with flushers, and you have a pointer, you and your dog will become frustrated as the flushers crash thru your dog's point to flush. But if you are an upland bird hunter, you will never experience anything better than takin' a rooster, grouse, woodcock off a staunch point.

Over the years I have had Labs, Water Spaniels, Beagles, Walkers, GSPs and GWPs. They all are great dogs in their own sense and all served me well. The good lord blessed me with some good ones. All taught me as much as I taught them.

As I said, a good water dog loves water. When my dog is around water she will be in it....constantly. One good way to tire her out tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pu7h9S9Mow

Page generated in 0.05575 seconds with 8 queries