View Single Post
Old September 27, 2010, 09:18 AM   #5
kraigwy

There are several different types of matches out there, some take all day, some a couple hours.

If you are looking for a good match, that doesn't take long, then check out CMPs Rimfire Sporter Matches. These are shot with "sporter rifles" meaning normal 22 sporting rifles, Rifles are limited to 7.5 lbs excluding sights.

Depending on the size of the range, (number of firing points) and the number of shooters, the match can be fired in a couple hours.

This is one of the fastest growing shooting sports out there because it doesn't take a lot of time, it don't take a lot of money to compete, and you only need 25-50 yards.

CMPs GSM (vintage military rifles) normally don't take long either. Especially if you fire them on reduced ranges (100 yards where you don't use pits).

Personally I want a different route. Where I live, I'm a long way from anywhere. So if I'm gonna drive all day, I want to shoot enough to make it worth while. For example if I drive to Lander, (300 + miles) I want a two day match, like HP one day, and 1000 yard match the next).

When I was shooting for the Alaska National Guard, I took a 4 man team from Anchorage to Nashville TN, to shoot a 50 shot course of fire that took 30 minutes. Not what you call cost effective.

Anyway, there are several types of commutations out there, some take all day, some a couple hours. Just have to shop around.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03330 seconds with 8 queries