View Single Post
Old March 9, 2008, 01:24 PM   #35
Lurper

Quote:
In the case you are knocked off the bike and the perp grabs your bike and they both take off, how should this be handled? Obviously someone with a CCW knows not to begin wildly firing their weapon. Would this situation be grounds for using your weapon since, it would most definitely be a life threatening situation if the perps go as far as knocking you off your bike? Would there be a grey area pertaining to the fact that they are fleeing and no longer attacking you?
That depends on the jurisdiction. If you shoot as he knocks you off of the bike, it probably won't be an issue. If you shoot as he rides away, it probably will. In some states (Texas, for example) there wouldn't be an issue either way probably. But, AZ does not allow lethal force in defense of property.

Quote:
How much trouble do you have with the police while open carrying on your bike?
Short answer: none.

Quote:
Any suggestions for dealing with the police? I've been considering trying to make an appointment with the town police chief to discuss it. I was thinking of describing the events, and that I intend to (legally) open carry on my bike, and that I would appreciate it if his officers were informed that it is legal.
Find an attorney who will take your case pro bono if you get arrested. Get yourself arrested, go through the trial, set a precedent so that it can't happen in other cities.

If open carry is legal, it should be legal. A confrontation with the cheif could be counter productive. Does your state have preemption? I would try to enlist the help of whatever pro gun organizations are in your area and see what they advise.

Page generated in 0.03726 seconds with 8 queries