View Single Post
Old September 9, 2011, 01:14 PM   #2
FrontSight

2/2

Cox: Glenn Beck invited you to deliver your message to the tea party movement. Where do you think that’s headed?

Ted: This wonderful "we the people" reawakening is headed for where I was way back in the 1960`s. We are driven to take control back from bureaucrats out of control. We are demanding accountability and representation driven by the U.S. Constitution. I was a tea partier back in the ‘60s. I was a tea party that was criticized for being a freedom lover and a freedom fighter. I was screaming from the mountaintops in the ‘60s that the Second Amendment means I get to carry a gun. Right-to-Carry has taken a long time, and it always takes an army. So it’s long overdue but better late than never.

Cox: You’re right about the army – our grassroots army is our single most effective asset. And you meet the nicest people when you work directly with the grassroots.

Ted: I’m not exaggerating, Chris. I can’t walk 10 steps in America without someone saying, “Hey, Uncle Ted. God Bless the NRA.” They’ll come up, and I can see them fumbling. I know what they’re doing because it happens all the time. They’re fumbling to show me their NRA card. I am so blessed by that connection. Everybody picks up my tab and I hate when they do that because it’s not necessary. I’ll be eating somewhere and I’ll go to pay the bill and they’ll go, “That guy paid it.” And the guy flashes his NRA card. How cool is that? So maybe in this article, I’ll ask the members, “Would you people quit doing that please?” I appreciate the support, but it’s really unnecessary. If you’re going to buy anybody a meal, wait till you see a GI. Maybe a cop. Or maybe a special needs kid. Buy them one. But that’s an amazing human dynamo. And that connection -- it buoys my spirit everyday.

Cox: Same here. From the questions I get on the road, I know our members always want to talk guns. Let’s hear about your collection. Do you have a favorite hunting rifle?

Ted: Absolutely. Well, I have so many of them. In fact, my buddies are here and we’re going to try to take all of my guns out of my safe and take a picture. We figured it’s a 5-day deal. I have so many rifles. Currently I have a GA Precision .270 Winchester that George Gardner built for me. That “GA” stands for gnat assassin. You can assassinate gnats with his rifle.

Cox: And what’s your carry rig?

Ted: I own way too many guns, but rotate my dozens of wonderful 10mm pistols for daily carry. There simply is no better daily carry caliber for self defense and hunting backup as far as I`m concerned. I love ‘em all. I mean they’re all perfect. I would say my favorite gun is whatever is next to me with the most ammo.

Cox: We’ve got the Annual Meeting coming up in Charlotte. Any special events or appearances planned?

Ted: The NRA Annual Meeting is a priority for the Nugent family. I am moved by the buoyant spirit and positive energy at every event. We have a grand old time at my annual charity fund raising book signings and speaking presentations on Sunday. I so look forward to it every year.
I’m glad we’re doing this interview and I certainly want you to convey how deeply moved I am, how humbled I am, how driven and inspired I am every day of my life by the honor of being voted on the Board of Directors of the NRA. I hear from these people why they vote for me. Because of my absolutism. Because of my celebrating, not defending, our God-given rights. So here in the pages of the NRA publications, thank you all, God bless you all, because your inspiration is causing me to turn up the heat on a daily basis. I bring in a whole new intensity to absolutism every day of my life, inspired by those who honored me with their vote, indicating to me that they trust me to represent them on the board -- and certainly inspired by all those NRA members in military fatigues who thank me for implementing their freedoms that they have sacrificed to provide.

Cox: You have developed a lot of interesting nicknames over the years—Tedator, The Nuge, Uncle Ted. If a member sees you in Charlotte, or at some airport sometime else, what do you want them to call you?
Ted: American Blood Brother. Or just plain “Uncle Ted.”

Page generated in 0.02966 seconds with 8 queries