View Single Post
Old October 18, 2008, 08:55 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

You aren't seeing what I am seeing

Quote:
But when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, government doesn't have much to do with our daily lives
I disagree. Perhaps it is only a point of view, but my point of view is that government is deeply involved in our daily lives. The moment we step outside our front door (and even while we are inside our homes) we are subject to hundreds of laws, regulations, rules and ordinances, every minute of every day. And that, my friends is a result of our government working tirelessly to make life better for us all.

Just get in your car and drive to the store to buy aloaf of bread. How many laws apply to you during that simple action? Dozens? Scores? maybe even a hundred? Local, state, and Federal, how many do you think apply for each and ever single action you might do during the course of a normal day?

We are so used to it that many don't even realize just how many rules we actually have, here in the land of the free.

Sure, we need laws, and even regulations for an orderly society. I just don't think we need as many as we currently have.

There are places in our nation where citizens have to pay the govt because water runs downhill.

We are free to do whatever we wish, as long as we stay inside the framework built around us by the government. And that framework has been getting more and more rigid with more and more bars and walls with each passing year. We here see it most with guns, but it is being applied to all areas of life. The difference is the rate of application, and the scope of regulation. 20 years ago, you could choose to wear a seatbelt in your car, or not, as you saw fit. Sure, it is a good idea, you ought to wear one, but it was your choice. Today, it isn't your choice anymore. If you do not wear the mandated belt, the govt will fine you. Take your money as punishment for not following orders.

Just because you do not have daily interaction with govt enforcers doesn't mean that govt isn't "involved" in our daily lives. Look around and think about it.

Page generated in 0.03546 seconds with 8 queries