View Single Post
Old February 17, 1999, 06:57 PM   #2
thaddeus

I am relatively a newbie at this, having only been reloading for a couple years off and on, but let me take a swing at this for fun.

To answer your question: stay at the same load to be safe and work up if you like, but you will probably need to INCREASE your powder amount for a jacketed round.

Lead galls to the brass casing much more firmly than your jacketed rounds do. So, more pressure builds up before the lead bullet is discharged. Jacketed rounds exit more quickly with less backpressure because they do not sit as firmly into the casing. So, when you are reloading jacketed rounds, use more powder, or more importantly, when you are reloading lead rounds, use LESS powder.
Check out the charts for exactly how much to use, they will always specify whether the load is for lead or jacketed bullets. I am not sure if there is a strict equation for how much powder to use when translating from lead to jacketed or vice versa.
In my loads I use about %10 less powder for a lead round as compared to a jacketed round. But, I use the chart, not a calculater to figure out my loads, so don't use the "%10 rule"...use the chart!

thad

Page generated in 0.02832 seconds with 8 queries