View Single Post
Old May 21, 2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

OK, if I'm reading the complaint correctly, Mr. Kellett is a member of the Brady Campaign who lives in Nelson. This is what he's claiming for injury:

Quote:
Because Mr. Kellett obeyed the law, the Firearm Ordinance forced Mr. Kellett against his will to purchase on April 23, 2013, a Remington model 1911, .45 caliber handgun for $646.59. It also forced him to purchase against his will .45 caliber ammunition for $32.09.
That's pretty spendy, and certainly not the $150 beater gun I'd have expected someone to buy when they're just trying to obey the law.

He's also claiming that his property values will be reduced.

Quote:
Moreover, at least one study has established a direct correlation
between gun ownership in a locality and the number of gun deaths in that locality. Upon information and belief, increased gun deaths in a locality may also have a negative effect on property values in that locality. Mr. Kellett has suffered further economic harm because the Firearm Ordinance makes Nelson a less-desirable location, thereby causing property values, including the Kelletts’, to decrease.
The law provides an exemption for those who “conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine,” and Mr. Kellett claims that it's a 1st Amendment violation to be forced to articulate a belief.

I can't wait to see them argue this before a judge.

Page generated in 0.03701 seconds with 8 queries