Thread: reloading
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7
amamnn

turret presses

Look into the Lee classic turret press. It's inexpensive, sturdy, and does all the things you mention as well as not being of the umbrella type, like the Redding. I have a great respect for Redding and use their benchrest/match grade dies and some other equipment, but their turret press is not one thing I'd buy for precision loading. The Lee is a different design and does not have the inherent innacuracy of the umbrella type, and you can operate it in the index mode or manually move through the stages. The Turrets are not expensive. I recommend the 4 hole press. Dillon is great equipment if you are wanting to load huge quantities of standard grade pistol ammo. I don't think anyone can beat Dillon at that. ABCs of Reloading is a good book. So is Modern Reloading.
As a beginner, you probably do not have any clear idea as to which brand and type of bullet you prefer to load. Therefore, to buy any particular manufacturer's load manual would perhaps be less than the best value at this point. Modern Reloadiing, besides giving a mostly accurate and detailed account of the reloading process, has an extensive section of load data that you can use for any cartridge you are likely to load. If you decide to go on the accuracy quest at a later date the Mfrg load books will help you dial in a particular load using their bullets. Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, and Speer, among others, put out very good load manuals.
Of course, these online forums (there are 5 I like to read) are great sources of information and personal experiences and advice from those who have been loading for a long while already can be very valuable. One must be careful to remember that these pages also contain the perpetuation of myths, personal prejudices for and against brands, tools, and techniques based on little or no data. Sometimes you run across plain old stupidity. That being said, the aforementioned negative aspects are a tiny minority and usually easily spotted.
I wish you good luck and tight groups.

Page generated in 0.03231 seconds with 8 queries