View Single Post
Old March 5, 2009, 12:54 PM   #10
black bear 84

Winchester 7mm,

My own Winchester 7 mm Remington Magnum have three scopes, yes I know a little exaggerated, but even when the 3x by 9x is the most versatile, there are occasions when you find yourself in heavy brush and you are wishing for a lower power scope, something like a Leupold shotgun scope 1x to 4x.

This is because the low power scope will have a wider field of view at short distance. Besides a 1x scope can be shot with both eyes open, which is an excellent way to connect on fast running game.

The third scope is just a spare, just in case the primary 3x by 9x (or 31/2 by 10x) break down or become fogged.

My other rifles also have multiple scopes; it is a way of insurance against optics disaster, for stock disaster I take an extra stock of fiberglass. And for mechanical insurance screws, firing pins, extractors etc as well as the tools.
Of course if the hunt is in my state, I also carry a spare rifle. But if is by plane this extra scopes and stock can save a hunt.

Remember Murphy law, and try to insure an expensive hunt against it.

In my forty years of hunting I have used many quick detach scope systems, from Weaver pivots mounts (that left the scope at one side for access to the iron sights) to Redfield systems with a Pilkington lever.

A few years ago I converted most of my rifles to Weaver bases and used the Quick Detach Leupold Weaver system (A couple have the Leupold Quick Detach post style)

To my thinking the QD Leupold/Weaver style is the most rugged.

Leupold QD Weaver

REDFIELD WITH PILKINGTON LEVER

The Warne system is similar but split the rings vertically instead of horizontally, I don't have experience with them but I am sure they are just fine.

Now, I bet some posters will come out saying that you don't need all this paraphernalia and that they have hunted in five continents for 40 years with one rifle and one scope on Redfield rings.
Which means nothing, probably they did, and I call them lucky bastards

One last recommendation, spend the money in a good scope (or two) and a good solid QD system such as the Leupold.
Good hunting

Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]

Last edited by black bear 84; March 6, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.03136 seconds with 8 queries