Thread: First Hand Gun
View Single Post
Old July 7, 2009, 07:54 AM   #9
1-UP

I agree with Darkgael.

The advice I always give when somebody asks (it's been asked before, but it is a good question - check the search though for some other examples and advice), is always, always, always start with a .22 caliber pistol. I'll save you some more time and searching - you're either going to want the Ruger Mark III (Some folks prefer a Mark II, they're both fine) or a Browning Buckmark. This will allow you to SHOOT. It's shocking what centerfire ammo costs, and it takes a healthy amount of practice to get any good at it. While you're getting good with the .22 you'll have ample opportunity to make gun friends and try their stuff out before you decide what you actually like.

The really nice thing is that the .22 autos are about $100-$200 cheaper than any of your decent centerfire autos or revolvers (A new, midrange Ruger runs about $330 - under $300 is possible for both Buckmark and Ruger if you get the base model). You can use that savings to buy a Mossberg or Remington shotgun for HD needs ($150 used or so is pretty easy to find, sometimes cheaper if you're lucky). Shotgun is better for home defense in most cases anyway and it also opens up the delightful world of shooting clays (although this can get pretty pricey too, $10 a match give or take a couple bucks).

If you're absolutely deadset on getting a centerfire (such as if you're looking to concealed carry), there's lots and lots of good options if you're willing to spend $400-$600. CZ is my favorite, but Glock, S&W M&P, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, and probably a few I'm missing won't dissappoint.

I really can't stress how much better of a plan it is to get a .22 first (with a Shotgun if you're really worried about HD) if you're planning on becoming a shooter.

Last edited by 1-UP; July 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarity

Page generated in 0.03663 seconds with 8 queries