View Single Post
Old December 31, 2009, 12:45 AM   #12
Ryder

It's my preferred method. Pros - Very fast access, short reach, short draw, stealthy. Gun can be firing the instant it clears leather. You can stand cross armed resting your hand on the grip and nobody would know. You can unholster with your back turned to a threat and they will not know. For that matter you can unholster and point the gun from behind a cover garment without allowing anyone to see the gun. Access of the firearm with the offhand is very easy.

Very easy to keep people from unintentionally discovering my weapon. They are right front of me where I can observe every move. An uncle tried to poke me in the gut with a pair of index fingers while commenting about my weight at a family function last Summer I seized his wrists enroute and he never made contact. He is a big liberal, bad scene if he had discovered my gun. In tight quarters with strangers packed together I hold my offside forearm over the weapon to prevent any unintentional contact. By appearance I am protecting a more personal bulge from rubbing against others.

Cons in respect to strong side carry. You need to button the bottom of your cover garment to keep from flashing, especially if it is windy. To avoid lifting your cover with the off hand you would need to unbutton first. Although if it is not too windy you can carry a spare mag in the offhand pocket and that can prevent flapping. I had the gun drop out twice when I first started carrying. A lot of bending over can cause it to work its way out of the holster without the proper setup. It can also be necessary to adjust when you stand up after sitting for a long time.

I have resolved the problem of drop outs and adjustment by using a very stiff high ride paddle type OWB holster. This is held tight to my body by running the belt over the holster ->

Some people discount crossdraw by supposing you face your opponent full on. Their theory is your strong arm can be pinned against your body preventing a draw or enabling a take-away. Not a realistic assumption IMO. The opponent would have to know you were carrying and catch you completely offguard. If you are aware of a threat your stance is an angled fighting stance, the same as when you face off against any threat. You do not forfeit the ability to fend off an opponent with your off arm using crossdraw yet this is also not taken into account by detractors. Upon drawing your weapon in a situation the gun is retracted away from the target as it clears the holster, not moved toward the threat as with strong side carry.

Good point about physical impairments. I have a bad back and cross carry is very comfortable and endurable. I can not strong side carry concealed using an IWB holster for more than a few minutes without pain. Especially if I sit down (I do a lot of that). The movements involved with such a presentation are not ones I can perform without risk of self-injury. I'll strong side carry with an open carry drop holster but that's not much of an option around here.

Page generated in 0.02838 seconds with 8 queries