View Single Post
Old May 12, 2010, 04:22 PM   #13
buzzkillin

So, I got my response from Ruger. Sounds like it jibes with what I was planning on doing, which is to wait and see if the problem worsens, or evens out. The fact that the tube is not scratched further up makes me hopeful that the issue with lessen from now on, but we'll see.

Ruger's response:

Response:
1.Our patented two stage piston reduces the initial energy impulse to the carrier, which reduces the amount of tilting force during the carrier’s initial motion.
2.We have an enlarged rear diameter on the carrier, which reduces the amount of tilt.
3.We have removed a portion of the forward carrier rails, which re-directs tilting force away from the upper receiver to the buffer tube.
4.We have a radius on the rear of the bolt carrier which reduces the amount of wear on the buffer tube that might result from carrier tilt.

So, our design has less carrier tilt, has less force behind the tilt, does less damage when it does tilt, and what little force/tilt is left is directed to an inexpensive buffer tube instead of an expensive upper receiver.

Wear in the buffer tube, as a result of carrier tilt, will most likely be present to some degree in nearly all rifles. Once the wear pattern is established, it is unlikely to worsen over the life of the rifle. In the unlikely event the buffer tube continually degrades over time, the rifle should be sent back to us for review. Degradation in the buffer tube can be a concern if the top of the buffer retainer plunger (the small pin that holds the buffer in the tube) and/or the bottom of the relief groove of the carrier (which allows the carrier to travel over the buffer retainer plunger) starts to get wear.

Page generated in 0.02055 seconds with 8 queries