View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Bart B.

I don't think it's a good idea to push burned lubricant residue down one's barrel. All that does is add more fouling to the bore and that does not go good things. The more fouling there is in the bore, the more it's gotta be cleaned if best performance is an objective.

Nothing touches the inside of my bottleneck case necks when they're sized. I use gelded full length sizing dies; no balls. Before using gelded dies, the standard ones' balls never squeaked going back out of the case 'cause their mouths had the powder residue cleaned out with a spinning bore brush before decapping and cleaning.

Therefore, I've suggested folks clean their fired case mouths out with a bore brush held in an electric drill running at some lower speed. With the brush in a drill press, it's easy to quickly go through a batch of cases passing the case mouths up and down over the spinning brush. This cleans up the case mouth making bullet seating a bit easier and tends to uniform neck tension so muzzle velocity's a bit more consistant. Die balls tend to bend case necks 'cause of the friction against the case mouth. Reducing that friction by removing powder residue ends up with straighter case mouths.

Set your own objectives for the end results of your reloaded ammo. Then do stuff that enables you to meet those objectives. There is no free lunch in reloading ammo, but the stuff that 'tastes' better costs a bit more so decide what the good stuff's worth then do it.

Page generated in 0.03843 seconds with 8 queries