Thread: This bugs me
View Single Post
Old February 11, 2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Talon66

My two boys have developed a "situational awareness" that has for the most part impressed me. I've talked to them about "positive pre-visualization", condition yellow, etc. My youngest son, 12 years, chooses not to listen to his mp3 player while riding the bus because he's aware of the "crazies" that ride it and realizes his need to be able to take a position of advantage should something hazardous present itself. My oldest son is very similar. Thanks to me. My wife on the other hand is good at recognizing when things are not right but she has the habit of running in without a plan. In the kindest and gentlest way, I try to go through the situations with her after the fact and point out where she could have put herself in a better position to deal with unknowns. It's a touchy subject because I don't want them going through life paranoid. There's a difference between paranoid and being aware of your surroundings. One is healthy, the other is not. If you go about it in such a way that you present yourself as a positive role model instead of a paranoid delusionalist, you can often get them to come around. How's that saying go? "Be nice to everyone you meet but always....". You get the picture

Page generated in 0.01955 seconds with 8 queries